Hammer toes are when the digits curl under and appear contracted. In the early stages, a hammer to is flexible, then may progress to rigid contracture. If there are areas of irritation on the toes, we suggest shoes with a wide toe box or padding. Custom orthotics can also modify the biomechanical imbalance that may be causing the hammer digits. Custom orthotics will not cure the hammer toes, but it will help slow down its progression. If this is not helpful and there is still pain or a sore due to the contracture and the toe rubbing up against the shoe or the bottom of the shoe, then conservative care may not work and we will consider surgical correction. But we will exhaust all conservative care before we resort to surgery, and most cases resolve with conservative care. Our doctors will perform a thorough surgical consultation, and help determine the best treatment for you.
- Posted on 12/01/2020Before you know it, it will be January. If you suffer through the holidays with pain, it will likely still be there when you are trying to devise your new years resolutions.
- Posted on 10/05/2020Pain in shoes is not an indication not to wear them. Read on to learn a couple common reasons why your feet and shoes aren't getting along.
- Posted on 02/12/2020About those Bunions: Are They Really Just a Bump?
- Posted on 03/15/2021 Over the decades of surgically correcting bunions, there is now an answer that addresses nearly every concern of the past procedures.
- Posted on 02/04/2021 Dr. Doyle is a Lapiplasty 3D Bunion Correction Surgeon!
- Posted on 01/20/2021 MLS Laser - all your questions answered!