When you rest your feet are most relaxed. The soft tissues tighten in this relaxed position. When you start to move again, and in the morning it's often very suddenly, these tissues need time to stretch and get moving again. It's like starting to exercise without a proper warm up. The complaint of morning pain or pain after rest is most common in plantar fasciitis, arthritis, and tendinitis.
5 Stretches To Relieve Your Morning Foot Pain
It's actually very easy to improve...you don't have to wake up another morning in pain! We have a few stretches you can try before getting out of bed in the morning. If you have no improvement doing these every morning then it may be time to schedule your appointment with one of our doctors.
- Sit on a chair and place your ankle over the opposite knee.
- Grip toes and gently pull them back towards the knee, while holding the ankle to prevent it from moving.
- Feel the stretch in the sole of the foot all the way to the heel.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Repeat three times for each foot.
Sit on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you. Loop a towel around the top of the injured foot. Slowly pull the towel towards to keeping your body straight. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds then relax - repeat 10 times.
Heel and Achilles Tendon Stretch
- When out for a walk, find a wall to lean against. Even a tree will do.
- Stand an arm’s length from the wall.
- Place the leg to be stretched about 12-18 inches behind you.
- Keep your toes pointed forward and slightly inward.
- Bend your arms and gradually lean towards the wall.
- Make sure your leg is straight and the heel of your back leg is pressed to the floor.
- Feel the stretch in the calf and heel of the back leg.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and return to starting position.
- Repeat three times for each leg.
Frozen TheraBand Foot Roller
- Spencos Total Support Sandals (we recommend these as your daily sandal or "house shoes")
- Powersteps over-the-counter orthotics
- Biofreeze topical pain relieving gel
These products are available for purchase in our office without an appointment. If you feel you need an appointment with one of our doctors you can call our office at 630-834-3668.