Custom orthotics are a critically important component in the treatment of bunions. Even our patients who are seeking surgery to correct their bunion will need orthotics. You may be asking, what is the point? If I'm already having surgery (or you already have) why would I need an orthotic? The truth is that the reason that a bunion develops is related to your foot structure and surgery rarely changes your foot structure, rather it turns the clock back on the position of a couple of bones surrounding the big toe joint. For this reason, custom orthotics are essential to reduce the likelihood that the bunion comes back. In some cases it also helps to train the surrounding joints, tendons, etc. to more effectively transition weight through the foot. Think of this as the foot doctors' equivalent of a retainer your orthodontist may have had after wearing braces!
- Posted on 10/09/2020Custom Orthotics - Answering the most common questions!
- Posted on 10/04/2020Orthotics are an effective adjunct to treat and prevent foot pain in patients of all ages
- Posted on 05/04/2020Can orthotics get rid of my bunion?
- Posted on 06/11/2020 If you have suffered from painful blisters after running, there are a few tips to reduce the likelihood of going through that again!
- Posted on 05/25/2020 Pain in the arch and ankle can be due to adult acquired flatfoot and tendinitis of the posterior tibial tendon. Read this article to learn more about the condition and what can be done to make it better!
- Posted on 03/11/2020 Here are 3 Ways to Know That Your Shoes Don’t Fit