If you think you are having a gout attack in the big toe joint, it is important to see your primary care doctor or see your podiatrist.  Your doctor will start out with some sort of anti-inflammatory, either non steroidal or steroidal.  This works best to control the inflammation of the big toe joint, which in turn will cause a reduction in pain. You may need to continue taking this as long as you have pain in the joint.  In addition, you may be prescribed colchicine, which is only taken at the time of the flare up.   Once the gout attack passes, there are other medications that you may need to take in order to control the underlying cause of the gouty attack, an increased uric acid level in the blood.  If you are having pain in your big toe joint, contact our office and make an appointment and we can get you out of pain soon.