Many times, patients say they think they stepped on something and feel that it may be deeply imbedded in the skin at the bottom of the foot. Our doctors recommend you come to the office and have it looked at. If you can see the foreign body, whether is be a piece of glass or a splinter or some other material, and it is superficial, it is tempting to try to pull it out. However, this may come with consequences. For example, you may leave a piece of the foreign body in there, or the instrument you use may not be sterile and can cause an infection. A foreign body that is very deep may need Xray confirmation of its position, and this can be done in the office. It is important to know that sometimes all materials don't show up on Xray, but if we can see it, we may be able to remove it in the office with sterile instruments and assess if there is a bacterial infection and if so, prescribe oral antibiotics. However if it is very deep, it is also possible that it may need attention to be surgically removed, and this can be determined if you come in. If you think you stepped on something but are not sure, it is important to come into the office to be evaluated, and we will come up with a treatment plan.
- Posted on 12/01/2020Anyone - even the President-elect Joe Biden - can have foot pain!
- Posted on 11/08/2020Raking leaves should be seen for what it is - an activity with special demands that you only do a few times a year and only for a few weeks each year. Read on to learn why we want you to think twice before you rake.
- Posted on 07/01/2020Think you may have stepped on something and now it may be in your foot? Here is what to do.
- Posted on 02/21/2021 Why aren't over the counter orthotics getting rid of my pain? Why custom orthotics may be what you need.
- Posted on 01/20/2021 MLS Laser - all your questions answered!
- Posted on 12/05/2020 What does swelling in my foot and ankles mean?