Gout occurs when there is increased levels of uric acid in the blood and this deposits in a joint, most commonly the big toe joint in the foot. The accumulation causes crystals to form and the inflammation can be extremely painful. It appears as a red, hot swollen, painful joint and even sheets touching the foot are unbearable. Patients with gout have an elevated uric acid level. Your doctor may order a uric level blood test to measure the amount of uric acid. If it comes back elevated, then you should see your primary care doctor in order to take medications to decrease the uric acid levels and thus prevent another gout attack.
- Posted on 02/14/2021The Benefits of Stretching are Endless
- Posted on 04/06/2020Ankle pain may not actually be from your ankle. Read on to learn more about a condition we see here at PPFAC.
- Posted on 11/29/2018Big Toe Joint Pain Video Series
- Posted on 11/13/2020 If you love Thanksgiving as much as I do, you may find yourself overfull and tired, or even having foot pain afterwards. Read on to see what can result from overindulging on food or activity for this holiday.
- Posted on 08/15/2020 Diabetic patients need to be aware of a specific disorder that can affect the bones of their feet - Charcot arthropathy
- Posted on 06/15/2020 Different types of arthritis can effect your feet, especially your toes.