Today was the first annual Lucky Leprachaun 5K, and there is nothing like running the inaugural race. It was a chilly Sunday morning, (the coldest race I have ever participated in at 20 degrees!) but seeing the runners and families of Elmhurst and the surrounding community come together for the run was amazing. From the Irish dancers performance to the guys running in kilts, to the toddlers in the jogging strollers wearing the fake green beard giveaways, it was an event for the whole family. As I made my way up York Road at the start line, I saw neighbors, independent store owners and friends line up at the start. Yes, I love running races in downtown Chicago - of course there is nothing like running along the lakefront - but supporting your community as a runner and running as part of that community has a feel all it's own. At the end of the race, the festive mugs that Prairie Path Foot and Ankle gave away summed it up in the saying printed on the back: "May joy and peace surround you, contentment latch your door, and happiness be with you now and bless you evermore!" (an Irish blessing.) I'm definitely making this a March tradition.
- Posted on 04/15/2019This tech could protect runners from stress fractures
- Posted on 04/01/2019This Pre-Run Warmup Could Banish Injuries
- Posted on 03/22/2019Slow and Steady Wins the Race
- Posted on 03/19/2019 Running After Baby: What You Need to Know
- Posted on 02/24/2019 Do You Have Pain On The Outside Of Your Foot? It Could Be Peroneal Tendinitis
- Posted on 10/23/2018 The Safe Way to Get into Running