OUCH! Ingrown nails can be really painful. They pinch the skin and can cause an opening for bacteria to get in. These are very common in kids and at Prairie Path Foot and Ankle Clinic, we see them everyday. Sometimes they are very mild with just a little pain and swelling and sometimes they are a hot mess! Big, red, swollen with pus draining out of them. No matter which category your child falls into (likely somewhere in between), the one thing I can promise you is that the quicker you seek treatment, the easier it will be on everyone! Don't let your child convince you it's getting better. It might look better temporarily, but it will come back. Often much worse than it was initially. Soaking and antibiotic ointment will only keep the infection at bay. Your child is only telling you this because they are afraid that coming to the doctor's will hurt. Don't worry about the treatment being painful, kids always make it through just fine! Now us parents, we are a whole other story!!
- Posted on 04/08/2021Read to learn about some of the common foot conditions in kids and how you can help avoid them!
- Posted on 10/09/2020Healthy Habits to Finish the Year Strong!
- Posted on 07/03/2020Injuries in kids are not always the same as those in adults. Some key differences make it even more important to have your child evaluated to reduce the risk of future damage to their foot or ankle.
- Posted on 04/20/2021 Care you take today can prevent pain tomorrow
- Posted on 10/12/2020 Having excessively sweaty or wet feet causes an environment that is all too nice for microorganisms that can cause your little one macro troubles.
- Posted on 08/31/2019 Learn the Rules for Shoe Shopping with Kids